httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Gross" <cgr...@eusoft.com>
Subject Re: arrrrgh!
Date Fri, 02 Aug 1996 11:09:53 GMT

----------
> From: Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
> To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
> Subject: Re: arrrrgh!
> Date: vendredi, 2. ao{t 1996 03:05
>
> Alexei Kosut wrote:
> >
> > Grrph.
> >
> > I just discovered that Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0 (on Win 3.1)
sends
> > the Host header, but sends it without ports, always. This is, as we've
> > discussed before, the way the HTTP/1.1 spec *originally* had it, but
it
> > was changed after Netscape screwed up.
> >

> Is MIE 3.0 golden yet? If not, then it might not be too late. After
> all, as team members of the most popular web-server software out there,
> we might have _some_ clout :/

Typical of Microsoft, because even the IIS has no "easy" to set the IIS
port to something other than 80.  Think about it, with most people not
knowing how to properly install a Web Server all IIS servers install on 80
and any other server will have to be moved.  Nice marketing tactic.

> As I under the spec though, isn't it wrong to assume port 80 ?

Yup

Christian Gross