httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Neulinger <nn...@umr.edu>
Subject Re: counters internal to web server
Date Tue, 09 Jul 1996 00:42:11 GMT
>The problem with counters is three-fold:
>
>  1) They don't count what the author thinks they count.
>  2) They show the reader something that the reader doesn't give a damn about
>     (usually at the cost of several seconds download time).
>  3) They can screw-up caching.

Right, but don't forget the alternative:

You've got hundreds of users saying "I want counters", regardless of
whether they are stupid or not. Well, if you don't give them counters, they
take their business elsewhere.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                  Computing Services
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org