httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Neulinger <nn...@umr.edu>
Subject Re: counters internal to web server
Date Sun, 07 Jul 1996 17:12:55 GMT
At 4:18 PM 7/7/96, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On 7 Jul 1996 15:18:40 +0200 in en.lists.apache-new-httpd you wrote:
>
>> Has anyone ever thought of adding hit counters to be internal to the web
>> server?  I'm playing with the idea now by adding it into the mod_include
>> as <!--#counter --> with options to come in the near future.  What has
>> been done about this type of thing in the past?
>> [...]
>
>There already is a nice module called mod_cntr.c from webcounter-1.1
>distribution which has nice features:
>
>   - adds automatically new URLs
>   - maintains the information in a fast DBM file
>   - supports access counts and date of last access count reset
>   - gives out these information as SSI/CGI variables
>
>I use this module on all of our servers and it runs fine. The best is: it is
>fast because server-internal and it is a ASCII counter. I hate those big and
>slow GIF-versions...
>
>The mod_cntr can be found in the Apache module registry.
>
>Greetings,
>                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
>                                        rse@en.muc.de
>                                        http://www.muc.de/~rse

I'm using this as well... Works extremely well... Occasionally have trouble
with the image portion of it (even netscape doesn't always do HTTP_REFERER
correctly). But the text/ascii version works without flaw.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                  Computing Services
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org