httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Douglass <miked...@texas.net>
Subject Re: Microsoft NT Workstation 4.0
Date Mon, 22 Jul 1996 15:34:04 GMT
On Sat, 20 Jul 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> >------------- Begin Forwarded Message -------------
> >
> >You may have already heard that in Microsoft's upcoming NT
> >Workstation 4.0, functionality will be significantly
> >reduced. If you want to run *any* Web server--O'Reilly's,
> >Microsoft's, or others'--on NT, you'll have to buy NT
> >Server for $999. The implications of Microsoft's actions
> >are serious for the Web community, and I encourage you to
> >help spread the word about it.
> >
> >First, the facts (which have previously been mentioned about
> >on WS Talk): NT Workstation 4.0 will limit the number
> >of unique IP addresses which can contact a Web server to 10
> >or fewer in a 10-minute period.  No previous version of NT
> >Workstation has contained this limitation. Of course, this
> >effectively eliminates NT Workstation as an option for
> >Internet or Intranet Web server usage.

Hmm.. Really?  Yes, while this is truly a pathetic attempt by
Microsoft to make more money, but if you think about it, this
is the NT 4.0 *Workstation*.  If you want to run a server, then
buy NT 4.0 *Server*.

Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  "To be a saint is to be an exception; to be a true man is the rule.
   Err, fail, sin if you must, but be upright.  To sin as little as
   possible is the law for men; to sin not at all is a dream for angels."

              - Victor Hugo, "Les Miserables"