httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Douglass <miked...@texas.net>
Subject Re: Let's get rid of .htaccess files :-)
Date Mon, 22 Jul 1996 15:25:50 GMT
On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

Love how my confusion furthers the debates here.  :p

> >   Why can't we search for them once at startup and reread them when
> >   SIGHUP'd?
> >
> > Because:
> >
> >   1) It's *way* too slow --- a 'find' on a large webspace, which is
> >      what you're proposing, is likely to take several minutes.  This
> >      is unacceptable for server startup or restart.
>
> Not if it's done in a "registry" area where you are looking for one
> filename. It's likely that in a "large" webspace, you have very few
> .htaccess files relative to the number of directories/files. There
> is no need to create these directories in the "registry" if they
> don't lead to a .htaccess file.

Yes, but think of the maintenance of having to provide the seperate
.htaccess file structure.

> > Some of these points go away if the per-directory configuration
> > directives are moved out of the webspace --- but that is, from the
> > users' perspectives, incompatible with the current .htaccess
> > mechanism.
>
> What is wrong with giving them a script or CGI to run in a directory,
> (call it .htaccess) that opens the corresponding config file in the
> registry?

Ok, so we give more of an opportunity to have security holes?  Whereas
with the current system the user can only A) use the .htaccess if he/she
is knowledgeable enough, and B) by placing the file in his/her file
space (which is protected by your standard UNIX file system security).

What is the benefit here?  Speed?  I'd take security over the loss of a
little speed.

(Woah.. Just had a thought completely off the topic, but if you have
a directory structure that is marked as Override NONE in your access.conf,
does the server even search for .htaccess files?  if so, why?  Like I
said, random thought!)

Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  "To be a saint is to be an exception; to be a true man is the rule.
   Err, fail, sin if you must, but be upright.  To sin as little as
   possible is the law for men; to sin not at all is a dream for angels."

              - Victor Hugo, "Les Miserables"