httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Douglass <miked...@texas.net>
Subject Re: Let's get rid of .htaccess files :-)
Date Thu, 18 Jul 1996 21:57:45 GMT
On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> The reasoning for using the filesystem was to use the system's
> built in access control to control who has permissions to edit
> config files. If the ownership of the conf/ directory tree mirrors
> that of the webspace, the problem is solved. From the standpoint of
> writing a configuration tool, it seems that locking issues etc.
> become much less of an issue.

So you want to create another file system structure that mimics the
webspace, and place the .htaccess information there?  What exactly is
the purpose here?  Is your purpose to prevent the web server from
parsing htaccess files on each access (trying to rid the overhead of
reading in the file from the disk?)?  Why not keep the information in
the webspace (why mimic it?) and simply read them in at start time from
there?  I can't see a use for having a seperate directory tree.  The
primary access.conf file already controls *what* the individual user
can override, so the issue can't be one of security.

Absolutely confused,

Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  "To be a saint is to be an exception; to be a true man is the rule.
   Err, fail, sin if you must, but be upright.  To sin as little as
   possible is the law for men; to sin not at all is a dream for angels."

              - Victor Hugo, "Les Miserables"