httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Douglass <miked...@texas.net>
Subject Re: project plan
Date Fri, 12 Jul 1996 18:22:40 GMT
On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

>   I'd tend to have to agree with this.  First of all, any features you want
>   for Apache can be held until the server becomes multi-threaded.  It has
>
> So, given all that, what is the good reason not to wrap up the easy bits
> into a 1.2 release while we have 2.0 in the OR under general anesthesia
> in another branch?

Well, maybe I wasn't clear.  What I was say that from a standpoint of a
webmaster, UNIX administrator, and C programmer, I see a multithreaded
server as a very high priority as it should increase performance quite
a bit.  Now perhaps when I said "any feature...could be held" I was
vague in that the types of changes I was trying to reference were those
that would not be thread safe.  Those types of changes will just cause
two to three times more work since you would have to go back and make
it completely thread safe later.

Unless, of course, any changes that are applied for 1.2 are watched
closely for thread safeness; just for the sake of being easily included
into the 2.0 tree to make work on 2.0 that much easier.

Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  "To be a saint is to be an exception; to be a true man is the rule.
   Err, fail, sin if you must, but be upright.  To sin as little as
   possible is the law for men; to sin not at all is a dream for angels."

              - Victor Hugo, "Les Miserables"