httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Douglass <miked...@texas.net>
Subject Re: Too soon for 1.2 commits ??
Date Thu, 11 Jul 1996 23:49:32 GMT
On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

> > Oh, and as for "taking the time to benchmark"...  I'm interested now in
> > finding out just what the results of the two operations in question would
> > really be; that's why I'm going to do it.  Not to prove me right or wrong,
> > but plain and simple curiosity has bitten me in the butt...
>
> For the test to be realistic you have to benchmark in a running Apache, I
> guess. Have fun!

Actually, I'm think I'm going to go comment the ReferIgnore for www.texas.net
out of our web server's configuration file and log about a complete days
worth of referer's.  Then, take that through a small program that does
the entire log file through both mechanisms (or perpahs a couple of the
mechanisms) and compare time outputs.  In fact, the test will be run on
three different OSes (Linux, SunOS 4.1.4, and Solaris 2.5) for "fairness".
I'd do it under DOS/WIN95, but who cares about that platforms performance!

Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  "To be a saint is to be an exception; to be a true man is the rule.
   Err, fail, sin if you must, but be upright.  To sin as little as
   possible is the law for men; to sin not at all is a dream for angels."

              - Victor Hugo, "Les Miserables"