httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Douglass <miked...@texas.net>
Subject Re: Too soon for 1.2 commits ??
Date Thu, 11 Jul 1996 20:59:57 GMT
On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

> If asked, I would vote for a possibly less efficient implementation which
> didn't need to mess with memory.

Is this because of the concepts in our minds about the "efficiency" of dealing
with memory?  I know you're probably all going to kick me out of here for
beating a dead horse, but that's an inconsistant statement if you're talking
about dealing with memory in such a way.

As for grabing memory and holding it (and reallocing if you need more), think
about how ugly that would be once the core apache starts to move to multi-
threading.  Static buffers in a multi-threaded application would seem to
me to be something that I would want to take every chance to avoid.

Oh, and as for "taking the time to benchmark"...  I'm interested now in
finding out just what the results of the two operations in question would
really be; that's why I'm going to do it.  Not to prove me right or wrong,
but plain and simple curiosity has bitten me in the butt...

Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  "To be a saint is to be an exception; to be a true man is the rule.
   Err, fail, sin if you must, but be upright.  To sin as little as
   possible is the law for men; to sin not at all is a dream for angels."

              - Victor Hugo, "Les Miserables"