httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 20:34:18 GMT
On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

> OK, I agree with most of that, but -DNO_MMAP not an OS thing? I don't
> think so.

Not according to your defenition. You talk about a table of OS vs.
feature. HP-UX has mmap. But one some systems, it doesn't work the way
Apache wants it to; on most it does. A simple OS-to-feature table *does*
*not* *work* for this, and other such details.

This is why autoconf exists. It should very simple (or so it seems - I
haven't  actually tried) to have autoconf figure out if mmap works or not
whether or not it's HP-UX.

Which is why I think that autoconf is the better solution. (And, remember,
autoconf *can* do OS-based selection if that's the preferable way of
determining whether or not it needs to do something - that's what the
config.guess file is for).