httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 19:41:42 GMT
On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > In the meantime, how does something like this appear:
> I think it is the wrong approach to make each individual end user figure out
> what -Ds are needed ... we should encourage a system which means that we end
> up with an entry in conf.h which corresponds to their OS, and it seems to me
> that this doesn't.

We *do* do that. But none of the things herein can be specified as "OS".
For one thing, how can an OS tell you if you should use the extra status
instrumentation? Likewise, -DNO_MMAP is there because some HP-UX (at
least) systems don't have working mmap implementations. SOCKS support as
well, is defenitely not on all machines of a given OS, nor is it
wanted on all those that it is on.

-- Alexei Kosut <>            The Apache HTTP Server

View raw message