httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 18:42:40 GMT
On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Actually, autoconf can do a lot more than just look for header files.
> For instance it can (if you're not too concerned with cross-compiling)
> run small programs to look for specific bugs in library functions.
> (Eg, Tcl's configure script looks for common bugs in strtod using this
> method).

Well, okay. Sounds good.

> The real problem is finding out about specific bugs in various vendor
> regex packages.  And sometimes testing for such bugs can be hard (ie
> how do you write a test to see if memory has been leaked?  Sounds
> messy).

Yep.

> One plan is to just set up an autoconf framework so that future known
> bugs can be tested for.  IE write configure.in to check for the regex
> functions, and then do a simple sanity test.  Then as more bugs are
> found (presumably by Apache users in the field -- ugh), more tests can
> be added.

Sounds good. Here's a question: are we ready to move to autoconf now? It
seems as if we're approaching critical mass with Configuration. Would it
be possible for you (Tom) or one of the other people familiar with
autoconf to make a prototype based on the current version of 1.2-dev, so
that we could test it, see if it's workable?

If so, I think it might be time for autoconf in Apache.