httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 18:12:18 GMT
On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> > If platform X has no (or a broken) regex package, and it can't compile
> > Spencer's, then what? It seems to me that we *have* to either support the
> > package, or not use regex capabilities in Apache. And we're already
> > commited to the latter.
>
> I do NOT think that we should commit ourselves to supporting Spencer's
> package. No way. I think that _anything_ that causes us to do so is
> way, way wrong. After all, we require an ANSI-C compiler. Should we then
> include and support gcc? If we go to C++, then should we include and
> support a C++ compiler?

All right already...

> We have a list of system requirements to compile and run Apache. Out of
> the kindness of our hearts, we provide a regex package in case an OS
> doesn't provide one, but we do NOT support it. I think anything we
> can do to help out systems that don't have the requirements is a Good
> Thing, but I don't want the group backed into a corner where we have
> to support not only Apache itself, but a regex package as well.

I suppose... Okay, enough already. I still think the warning should be
toned down in Configuration (if only because it makes it even longer... we
desperately need autoconf, methinks). I'm also concerned about broken
regex implementations. For example, we know (or at least, I've been told)
that the Linux regex libraries are leaky, and I think I remember reading
somewhere that the Solaris 2.4 ones don't work. How do we compensate for
that? (especially with autoconf, which, realistically, pretty much can
only look for /usr/include/regex.h, although I suppose it could be
progammed to identify certain broken versions)