httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: "order not allowed here"
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 06:23:26 GMT
On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > > No... I meant a "Limit" in the AllowOverride. As in "AllowOverride Indexes
> > > Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit".
> >
> > Whoa, okay, yes, I had to add that.  I've never considered that I needed
> > to add it before, but it did clear up the problem.  Weird.  Did we just do
> > something which could have made the check for that more conservative?

I don't think so.

> I'll also add, the error message probably should have said "<Limit> not
> allowed here" instead of "order not allowed here", no?

No... <Limit> is actually allowed everwhere. The "Limit" AllowOverride
option applies to those directives scoped as being activated by the Limit
override bit (order, deny and allow are the only ones in the Apache
distribution). So, correctly, it's the order directive that's not
allowed.

Don't forget you can use <Limit> to affect things not affected by "Limit",
namely authentication. The Auth* directives (which are allowed by the
"AuthConfig" override) also can be placed into a <Limit> section. It's a
tad confusing, I'll grant that.