httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Items for 1.2
Date Sun, 28 Jul 1996 07:38:42 GMT
Various things I'd like to get feedback on for Apache 1.2:

1) My HTTP/1.1 patch. I asked if there would be any objections to
   committing http11a.patch, with the protocol version changed back to
   HTTP/1.0, and the HTTP/1.1 default keepalive behavior disabled. If
   I don't hear anything by noon (PDT) today (Sunday, July 28), I will
   commit it.

2) The patches to implement CookieExpires/CookieEnable and <IfModule>. I'd
   still like +0.75 and +1 on each, respectively. Or a -1.

3) mod_rewrite. mod_rewrite_compat probably needs more testing, but I'd
   like to place mod_rewrite into the default distribution. *However*,
   having looked at the module's source in greater depth, I'd like to
   make a number of changes first (Ralf, do you mind? Or if you'd perfer
   to make them yourself, that'd be fine):

   a) Obviously, it needs to be rewritten to use POSIX regex instead of
      V8. The one nick here is POSIX regex' lack of an equvilent of
      regsub(). However, this should be very simple to write (and should
      be put into util.c for use by other functions).

   b) It's not quite up to the normal Apache API standards. Specifically,
      the way it parses args, handles errors, and a couple other things.

   c) Memory use. It uses MAX_STRING_LEN all over the place. Most of that
      can (and should) be replaced with the pstr* functions.

   d) The RewriteEngine directive seems superfluous; it should be implied
      by the existance of RewriteRule.

   e) RewriteLog should default to off.

   f) Most importantly, it should not, ever, under any circumstances,
      change r->uri, as it does now. It should keep track of its
      internal state in an internal variable. I'm also not sure about
      making URI and filesystem paths treated the same; it seems to have
      the propensity to get messy; I have to think more about it, though.

   However, except for these things (and maybe some others), it looks
   to be a very well-done module, and I (to repeat myself) would like to
   see it as part of the default Apache package.