httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1
Date Fri, 26 Jul 1996 21:20:27 GMT
On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Absolutely. What the "normal" HTTP/1.1 client will do in that case
> is immediately close the connection after receiving the content-length
> amount of bytes, which will be properly interpreted by the server
> as an end to the persistent connection.  It is therefore safe for an
> HTTP/1.0 server to act like an HTTP/1.1 server in all things except
> the HTTP-version. That is not an optimal way to behave, but it is
> sufficient for testing.  If you want to make it more optimal, key the
> persistence off of an unusual "apache-test" user-agent field.

I suppose this is true. As you say, though, it's not optimal. I'd perfer
not to do it that way.

I agree, though, that we shouldn't call ourselves HTTP/1.1 until there is
a real HTTP/1.1 spec.

My perferred solution would be to turn off HTTP/1.1 persistent connections
until the protocol version changes to 1.1.

Would anyone object (speak now or forever whine and complain) if I
commited http11a.patch, with the protocol version at HTTP/1.0, and the new
persistent behavior #ifdef-ed out?