httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: regexp patch?
Date Thu, 25 Jul 1996 05:10:37 GMT
On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Aram Mirzadeh wrote:

> Anyone know which version of apache 1.2-dev was the regexp patch?  I think
> we should put it out and put in the dist directory as experimental, but
> available for all those whom would like to use libc-5.3.12.

I don't. If we want to release an "alpha", I suppose that'd be okay, but
right now, I don't know if it's quite worth it. I mean, really all the
current Apache tree has is 1.1.1, with a couple minor fixes and
enhancements and Henry Spencer's publicly available, stand-alone regular
expression package. I don't think that warrents any sort of real public
release.

And at any rate, they're all right there in
ftp.apache.org:/httpd/from-cvs/. If the general public is smart and
curious (and some of them are), they'll discover this all by themselves;
IMHO, if they can't figure out this, they shouldn't be using non-public
releases anyhow. According to the June 1st Netcraft survey, there were
over 300 servers running -dev versions of Apache (it went down to under
200 in July, probably because those people started running 1.1 betas
instead). I don't think the people on this list are responsible for all
those (there certainly aren't that many people on the list), so I conclude
the public is smart enough to find our "private" server distribution site.