httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Bad choice of directory names for info- & status-modules
Date Wed, 24 Jul 1996 18:34:55 GMT
On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Now that we have a regexp package (praise the Lord), we should consider
> changing all such things to regexps, no?
>
> Or, at least, have a regexp equivalent for each of them? Though Grud knows
> what should happen if you mix them.

Well, <Directory> and <Location> now, if you use a * or ? character, will
treat them to wildcard matching, instead of the prefix check. We should
probably just identify a standard way to specify a string as a regex (the
way perl uses //) and then treat it as such. Of course, // would be a Bad
Idea, given that people no doubt use that for directories.

I think changing the default behavior of existing directives is just a bad
idea, if we want to stay compatible.

As for the other directives that match directories, like Alias and
Redirect, I say we just include mod_rewrite (even if we don't replace
mod_alias and mod_userdir with mod_rewrite_compat).