httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Bad choice of directory names for info- & status-modules
Date Wed, 24 Jul 1996 16:07:05 GMT
On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> However, <Location /info> seems to be matching requests for things
> like /information/, causing a redirect to mod_info.

Of course it is, that's what it *does*. Just like <Directory>, it looks
for files (or in this case, URLs) that match the given prefix. Except that
<Directory> tacks on a / if one doesn't exist (the theory being that it
has to be a directory), <Location> doesn't. So <Location /info> matches
any URL beginning with the string "/info". If you don't want that, you
could do use "/info/", but that means that you have to remember to have
the / when accessing the URL.

I suppose we could change the behvior of <Location> (when I think about
it, I can see arguments for making it a straight string match - with the *
and ? wildcards it supports now, of course), but it's too late name,
methinks.