httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: RegExp stuff to be included in 1.2?
Date Tue, 23 Jul 1996 19:17:42 GMT
On Tue, 23 Jul 1996 rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca wrote:

> If you look in the mod_php sources, you will see that I use regexpr
> from Tatu Ylonen.  No real technical reason for using this over any other,
> other than the fact that the license is completely unrestrictive.  I have
> included it below.  Another plus is that it doesn't require any special
> configuration or anything.  It consists of a single .c file along with a
> header file.  It can be compiled directly into Apache without any problems.
> Everyone who uses mod_php these days are already compiling it in.

Hmm. Do you have a copy without the PHP stuff in there? (the one
distributed, at least, with php-2.0b3, seems to have been modified by
you).

I must say, though, at this point I'm leaning towards one of the Spencer
packages, don't know which though. The AT&T V8 one compiles cleanly on my
machine, but isn't POSIX compatible (don't know if we want this - but, for
example, I don't see a way to specify case-insensitivity with the V8
version). On the other hand, the POSIX version gives me a number of
warnings (which I mentioned earlier).

At any rate, though, all of Spencer's packages look like they'd be usable:
the license restrictions are probably not a problem; as long as we provide
attribution, we should be able to use them just fine. As well, we should
be able to take the source files (regexp.c, regsub.c and regerror.c for
the V8 version, regcomp.c, regexp.c, regerror.c and regfree.c for the
POSIX version) and just drop them in to the current Apache makefile, with
little fuss, plus the header file.

Would anyone object to the use of a Spencer regex package? Does anyone
have an opinion as to which one to use?