httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Let's get rid of .htaccess files :-)
Date Thu, 18 Jul 1996 06:30:54 GMT
The problem with .htaccess files, as I understand them, is that they need
to be searched for and parsed for each and every request. This is
neccessarily not a great things for heavily loaded servers.

On the other hand, they make it a lot easier to reconfigure the server,
directory by directory, and if someone doesn't have access to the server
config, they can still make an .htaccess file, and do whatever they want
in it.

How about an option that would let you find and read in all the
.htaccess files at startup, pretending they were <Directory> sections.
That way, they'd all be there, ready to go. It would never have to check
for them again. If they got changed, you'd have to provide some way to
restart the server, but combined with Ben's graceful restart patches, this
might not be a bad thing. At least as an option.

I guess the question would then be as to how you identify .htaccess files.
Do you look for them at startup? If you have a lot of directories, that
could take a while. I suppose it could read each in once, the first time.
(it'd have to also store then which directories *didn't* have .htaccess
files, to avoid the extra stat for each request).

Hmm.