httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: apache 1.2-dev (on www.apache.org) (fwd)
Date Wed, 17 Jul 1996 00:20:04 GMT
On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Dave Boynton wrote:

> I've been testing some http 1.1 features with various httpd software
> and ran into a snag with yours, including the version 1.2-dev which
> is on www.apache.org. If I telnet into port 80 and send
> "GET / HTTP/1.1", I get a response of "HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request".
> If I send "GET / HTTP/1.0" I get the home page, as expected. Netscape's
> and Microsoft's servers don't do that. They accept HTTP/1.1
> transparently, which any forward-compatible server should. If client
> software starts sending HTTP/1.1, you'll be getting more bug reports. :-)

I take it, then, that you have not actuall read the entirety of the
HTTP/1.1 spec. If you had, you would notice that a HTTP/1.1-compliant
server (which Apache is not, but in this respect, it behaves like one) is
*required* to send a 400 response to any HTTP/1.1 request that does not
contain a Host: header. If you add "Host: www.apache.org" to your request,
it will proceed fine.

So, you see, it is Apache that is behaving correctly, and Netscape and
Microsoft that are not up to spec, so to speak (although they behave
perfectly fine for a HTTP/1.0 server, which all of us are. There can be no
HTTP/1.1 servers yet, since the specification is not yet approved. We
expect Apache to be fully compliant with HTTP/1.1 in the next
major release.)

Thanks for using Apache