httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: The FreeBSD port
Date Mon, 15 Jul 1996 18:28:04 GMT
On Sun, 14 Jul 1996, Andrew Wilson wrote:

> Strewth.  It's a pity that the changes made weren't forwarded to
> new-httpd so people could see if they merited inclusion in the real
> 1.1.1 (perhaps they were,in which case NULL). I'd venture to say

They were. In fact, the person responsible for those changes (they're not
related to the FreeBSD project, I don't think) has sent them to us at
least twice. As far as I know, we keep ignoring them.

> that the changes are such that users of the FreeBSD folks server
> need to be made aware, by FreeBSD.ORG that they're using software
> 'based' on Apache 1.1.1 but with 'significant' modification to the
> code in order to handle Charsets.

I don't think it's significant. I don't think they've made a particuarly
large change, at any rate.

> I'd be unhappy if no attempt was made to inform potential users
> that they were receiving a modified version of the code.  Perhaps
> then the 'Server:' header should read:
>
>     Server: Apache/1.1.1 FreeBSD/2.1.5-RELEASE

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not convinced. If they'd modified the server
directly, the "core", perhaps. But they didn't; they made a couple of
dinky additions to one of the modules. Are you suggesting that anyone who
uses a differnet module set than we include with Apache should change
their server version?

I just see nothing wrong with FreeBSD applying that patch and then
releasing it labeled as "Apache/1.1.1" - it's 99.9% the same server.
*shrug*