httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: project plan
Date Fri, 12 Jul 1996 21:47:15 GMT
On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Not to ruin your evening with another benchmark... :)
>
> From comments I have read from RST and others, I'm not holding my
> breath for a performance gain given by threading. From my understanding,
> threading allows us to support some of the features in HTTP/1.1 more
> easily which may provide increased performance.

Not really. The sfio package lets us do that. Threading allows us to
support HTTP-NG, which has a multiplexed transport layer, but for now
that's somewhat beside the point.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but threading alone is not the answer to
> performance issues.

Nothing alone is the answer, but threading should make the server perform
faster. It does away with forking entirely, for one thing (remember the
performance boost from 0.6 to 0.8, or NCSA 1.3 to 1.4?), which not only
speeds execution, it dramatically reduces CPU and memory usage, which
tends to have an uplifting performance benefit.

Spyglass Server still claims they're something like seven times faster
than Apache. All that speed has to come from somewhere, and I don't think
they bundle an extra CPU chip with each of their servers (though for
$15,000, they might as well).