httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: project plan
Date Fri, 12 Jul 1996 15:36:03 GMT
On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Paul Richards wrote:

> I think we should consider how much duplicate effort there will be if
> we implement a lot of features in 1.2 that have to be re-implemented in
> 2.0 when rst pulls his threaded server in.

Depends how much we put into 1.2. Basically, anything that affects a file
starting with "mod_" should work fine in 2.0 as well as 1.2. Anything that
affects a file starting with "http_" will probably need rewriting for 2.0.
Files that start with something else are up for grabs.

> He's implied that it actually uses a lot of the current code, if that's
> the case branching cvs is probably most appropriate and developing the
> features in 1.2 and using cvs to merge them into 2.0, we don't waste any
> effort on the HTTP 1.1 and autoconf stuff that way since it'll go into
> 2.0 at the same time.

Unfortunately, HTTP 1.1 and autoconf are exactly two of the things that
will need to be completely redone for 2.0. (not all of HTTP/1.1, just the
hard parts *grin*).

I've been thinking about this, and I'm leaning more towards not doing a
1.2 at all, skipping straight to 2.0. If we do make a 1.2, I'd strongly be
in favor of the method I proposed in an earlier email, which I'll repeat:
pick a date, like August 12. Work on Apache 1.2 until then. When that date
hits, stop working on 1.2, no matter what. Release it (with a beta cycle
taking a few more weeks or so), then start work on 2.0. That way we can't
get stuck in the 0.6/0.7/0.8/1.1 rut, where a two-month proposed schedule
gets dragged on for six months because we keep adding more stuff.

But I think I'd perfer to just move to 2.0 right now.