httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Skolnick <cl...@organic.com>
Subject Re: performance ``bugs'' in apache-1.1b4's P-HTTP
Date Thu, 11 Jul 1996 23:23:34 GMT
On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, John Heidemann wrote:

> No, turning it of also influences silly-window-avoidance algorithm and
> improves P-HTTP connection performance by about a factor of 7.5 (over
> 10Mbps Ethernet, for the workload described in
> <http://www.isi.edu/lsam/publications/phttp_tcp_interactions/>.)

I would suggest you do these tests on 2.4 (with no patches) or with 2.5
(with the tcp patches to fix the retransmit problem) before we go in a
direction.  Or run the tests on IRIX or BSDI since I don't want to tune
for broken TCP code.

> >Actually nagle does smooth out traffic here at Organic.

> It seems very plausible that CGI scripts which don't do buffering
> would do many writes and so would benefit from Nagle's algorithm.
> (The same holds true for SSI, although a brief look at the Apache code
> suggests that any Apache output except for mod_proxy will be
> buffered.)

I have since found out the tests I did was before the buffering code, so
my data might not be accurate.

Let me ask the question again to some people...I'll get back to the group.

--
Cliff Skolnick, CIO      http://www.organic.com/     cliff@organic.com
Organic Online, Inc.       ** we're hiring **           (415) 278-5650