httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: project plan
Date Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:58:38 GMT
On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> It's now finally time to talk about where we go from here. :)

Oh boy oh boy :)

> I certainly think work can begin on Apache 2.0 - I would be in favor of
> adding the code to CVS on apache.org, perhaps as it's own source tree
> instead of a branch to shield us from confusion for now.  I agree with all
> the reasoning you gave, and looking back at the project plan I've put up
> as a proposal, I do see that 1.2 has grown to be larger than I would have
> liked originally.

Agreed. What I think might not be a bad idea is this: set a date, say
August 11 (a month from now). Until that date, work on 1.2 things. Once
that date hits, stop. Release 1.2 (maybe take another few weeks for a beta
cycle). Start work on 2.0. If we make darn sure to enforce this "stop
date", then we won't get stuck spending six months on 1.2, and never
getting to 2.0.

[...]

> 1) Spec-compliant HTTP/1.1 support, except for mod_proxy
> 2) Adding %v for logging of the virtual host to config logging module
>
> Both these have been coded up and ready to be evaluated and committed.
> There are lots of smaller things I'd like to see done, but if I had to buy
> stock in Occam's Razor Company, these are the two I'd choose.

Well, there are a number of things in the HTTP/1.1 patch I need to go back
and rework. (I'm planning on doing that this weekend) But I suppose, yeah,
that sounds about right.