httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Configurable nph filenames
Date Thu, 11 Jul 1996 17:50:53 GMT
On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> > Hmm, I think we already decided once not to have this, didn't we?
>
> do you remember why?  It seems reasonable to me.

The main reason is that nph scripts are a Bad Idea, it's generally agreed.
Because they talk directly to the client, you can't do any header parsing
(which, btw, can make the response an illegal one - I wonder how many nph-
scripts deal correctly with HEAD, for example. HTTP/1.1 makes this problem
about twenty times worse, because of the persistent connection stuff), you
can't do keep-alive, you can't do chunking, and gosh himself probably
couldn't help us if we tried to make nph scripts work with HTTP-NG (should
it ever actually exist).

Usually when we talk about this, we decide it'd be a good idea if CGI
scripts could send a header that let them deactivate buffering of the
response, thus allow most things people want to do with nph- scripts
(server push and whatnot), but still making it a server-parsable response.
But no one's written it yet.