httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: SSI's
Date Wed, 10 Jul 1996 17:46:11 GMT
On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> From what I can tell, there is no way for someone who dishes out SSI's to
> have the Last-Modified date equal that of the document itself, unlike the
> setting g+x and using the "Xbithack Full" option.  Seems like a missing
> piece of functionality.

One thing I'd like to see Apache do for includes and CGI scripts and other
dynamic documents is what CERN httpd does for (at least) CGIs; it caches
the returned entity (up to a size configurable in the config files), and
then adds a Content-length and sends it. This is, IMO, handy (for one
thing, it allows keep-alive and maybe ranges). If we did that, we could
also look at the includes as they come in, and keep track of what the
document is including; if it just includes static documents, we can simply
get the last-modified date of the most recent included document, and then
return it.

(or we could just double-parse the document; but that's rather
inefficient).