httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Apache Server and CNAMES (fwd)
Date Mon, 08 Jul 1996 16:47:42 GMT
On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> > I am just confirming that apache virtual servers will work with CNAMES.  I was under
the impression that for
> > each hostname I would have to setup an A record, but just for kicks I used a CNAME
for a hostname and it
> > appears that apache is also binding to a CNAME address, with a seperate docs directory
and everything.  I know
> > your prolly think, duh, but well I think it's cool, cause it saves me about 20 IP
addresses that I can use for
> > domain names now.  Heh, thanks, just confirming that what I'm doing is gonna work
out ok, will people from
> > other networks also get the same results on the page I setup with a CNAME?  Thanks.

This is a new feature in Apache 1.1 (which I assume you're using - if not,
I don't have a clue). See http://www.apache.org/docs/host.html. Note,
however, that it will only work with browsers that send the Host: header -
this is only those made in the last six months or so, including Netscape
2.0 and later. Other, older, browsers will *not* work correctly with your
site, they will get the main server's page no matter what address they
access.