httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <>
Subject Re: missing htdocs and logs directories
Date Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:22:40 GMT
On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> The server requires httpd/htdocs and httpd/logs to exist before

Well, it requires whatever you call the DocumentRoot.

> being run, but they are not created by the 1.1b5 distribution.
> I suggest that we distribute an empty logs directory (like before)

Thing is, there's not a good way to create an empty directory in CVS -
there actually is a "logs" directory in the CVS repository, but when you
do a cvs export, it isn't exported, because it's empty. So I've added it
to (which anyone who's
planning on releasing an Apache release should read before releasing the
release as a released release - hey, where'd you get that gun?)

> and an htdocs with a single index.html file which says "Hello, World!"
> in a typically obnoxious fashion (and in-lines the powered-by-Apache
> graphic with a link to our home).

+1. Who gets to write it? It should also have a direct link to the
documentation, maybe, and some other things? Hey, maybe we can sell
advertising space on the default home page :)

> I'm sure somebody will get excited ....
> Aside from that (and the other minor items), 1.1b5 passes all my tests
> on Solaris 2.5.

Same here (also Solaris 2.5 - I'll try HP-UX 9.04 later tonight).

-- Alexei Kosut <>            The Apache HTTP Server

View raw message