httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: support dir
Date Tue, 02 Jul 1996 00:05:46 GMT
On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Aram Mirzadeh wrote:

> Why do we have the default Makefile in support dir compile everything with
> a -g?  These are simple small programs, which we can compile iwth -O2 and
> then even strip the binary.

Uh... in case we want to debug them? I dunno.

> Also, how about a make install?

Well, right now, everything kinda is already "installed". In order to
*compile* a complete Apache, one needs to

1) cd src
2) edit Configuration
3) Configure
4) Make
5) cd support
6) edit Makefile
7) make
8) cp *.conf-dist *.conf
9) edit *.conf
10) run Apache

The theory being that since you already have to do all this, a make
install is kinda pointless, since everything's already in place, sort of.

I think that with autoconf, the "end user" should be able to do

1) configure
2) make
3) make install
4) run Apache

make install would install the binary itself, along with the support
tools, and properly tweaked config files into /usr/local/etc/apache or
a like directory specified in configuration.

But we've had these discussions before, methinks... :)