httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: keepalive and windoze
Date Mon, 01 Jul 1996 20:54:58 GMT
On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> > On a server running b3-dev I'm being hassled to disable keepalive to
> > keep the windoze users from seeing dumb things... this is of course a
> > poor solution.
> >
> There's a problem. It involves keepalive. The clients under Windoze don't
> seem to catch the connection close of one or more items transferred.
> Other servers don't do this.

Other servers *don't* do this? I asked about this a bit ago, and no one
responded, so I had assumed it was something all servers did. I assume you
specifically checked these servers and the pages you were accessing to
make sure they were enabling keepalive? And that the bug is
well-reproducable enough with Apache that you can be sure it doesn't show
up on other servers? (Ben tells us letting the Keepalive time out, then
reloading the page will reproduce this)

> It'd be embarrasing to release with this one still in there.

Agreed. If it really does not show up with other servers that do
keep-alive, I will -1 any Apache release that has KeepAlive enabled by
default until we fix it (since that means it's fixable, even though it's
a Windows bug). With Windows being the most popular OS in the
browser market, I don't think its appropriate for the most popular server
(35% according to the July Netcraft - 15 point lead over NCSA) to not work
right with it.

Doesn't that make sense?