httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Makefile.tmpl
Date Wed, 31 Jul 1996 18:44:27 GMT
On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

> It can, can it? How? On my system SOCKS isn't anywhere autoconf is likely to
> look. Also, what happens when it finds more than one; I have SOCKS4 and SOCKS5
> on my system (or is it 3 and 4?). Which should it use? If it finds both dynamic
> and static libraries, which should it use?

Except autoconf *doesn't* look. The C compiler looks. All autoconf does is
try to link something with "-lsocks" (or whatever). And if you have
libraries in weird places, you can tell autoconf that. Just say
"LIBS=-L/some/wierd/path/lib autoconf".

I mean, if *you* have your libraries in weird places, I guess that's a
problem. But if the comments in Configuration are an indication, the usual
place for the SOCKS library is /usr/local/lib - hardly someplace autoconf
and ld don't know about.

> In my experience, autoconf makes a complete hash of even dealing with the
> standard system libraries, let alone others I may have lying around.

That's your experience. No autoconfiscated program I've ever used has
failed to configure correctly. And it's a heck of a lot easier to just say
"./configure" than to edit a file, or answer sit through a question and
answer session.