httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Roy's mail
Date Tue, 30 Jul 1996 03:14:49 GMT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:02:47 -0700
From: Roy Fielding <fielding@ics.uci.edu>
To: brian@organic.com, akosut@organic.com
Subject: mail death

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I have been without a home directory,
and thus without the ability to receive (or even send) mail, since Friday.
It seems that one of the *backup* scripts decided to delete most of the
home accounts in our department, and the restoration from prior backups
is proceeding at a glacial pace.  I think all of my mail is now bouncing,
since it isn't accumulating in the spool area like it normally does.
I assume that is because our mail system was also deleted. :(

I'm not inclined to believe the backup script story -- it seems more
likely to be a very painful crack of our root security.  In any case,
I can't read Apache mail, so if anyone is waiting for an HTTP question
to be answered please let them know that I am off-line.

......Roy  (using a group account)