httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Apache won't start specified # of servers]
Date Wed, 24 Jul 1996 06:54:08 GMT

Hi - I don't know if anyone responded to you yet, but the reason for the
below is as a safety measure, Apache won't spawn more than one child a
second.  This is to (help) prevent a mistake on our part from bringing
machines to their knees uncontrollably by fork()ing as fast as possible,
or something. I can't explain your claim that it worked before, since this
has been in there since 1.0 days, but it should also be easy for you to
hack out if you want.

	Brian

#####

I have Apache 1.1.1, and my httpd.conf contains:

StartServers 225
MaxClients 512
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 40

However, upon starting the server, I observe 60 or so servers, and this
number slowly grows (at approximately the 1 server/second rate) until
the expected number of servers are available.

Anyone know why this is so? When I had StartServers set at 150, it
correctly started 150 servers. Why won't it work properly anymore?

David Michaels
dmichaels@geocities.com