httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: 1.2 log rotation II
Date Sun, 21 Jul 1996 17:51:10 GMT
On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:
> BTW, even though a graceful restart does release logs and things eventually, it
> won't interact well with log rotation scripts that want to do things like
> compress the log as soon as it is rotated, or move it to a different file
> system, or immediately analyze it. I fear this may preclude its immediate
> decession. In the longer term, I guess such scripts need to be able to tell
> when the resource really has been released (or rely on dodgy mechanisms such
> as delaying for a long time).

To some extent, yes.  A very busy site will probably have a good number of
continuing connections no matter what time of the night or week you decide
to rotate the logs.  Some, perhaps most of those will finish and resolve
long before the old-day's logfile is finished being transferred somewhere
or analysed.  However long downloads (of, say, software) do have the
possibility of being lost under the current system.

So, what about a directive like

  ForceLoggingOnGracefulRestart  On (ugh)

which would have the parent send the children a signal which basically
says "I know you're not done yet, but please log your transaction now
instead of when you finish".  Perhaps it could be smart about handling the
common case and say "in 5 minutes if you're still alive" instead of "now".
Or, make the time configurable, whatever.

Man, don't you just hate people who think every day is a new opportunity
for proposing config file directives?  :)

	Brian