httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject project plan
Date Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:45:58 GMT
On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> I say we move the development version to a threaded server immediately. I
> know others agree with me. Can we put it to a vote or something, so we can
> at least get a clear idea of where we're going, and how better to get
> there?

It's now finally time to talk about where we go from here. :)

I certainly think work can begin on Apache 2.0 - I would be in favor of
adding the code to CVS on apache.org, perhaps as it's own source tree
instead of a branch to shield us from confusion for now.  I agree with all
the reasoning you gave, and looking back at the project plan I've put up
as a proposal, I do see that 1.2 has grown to be larger than I would have
liked originally.

I think it's a safe bet to say that even if we started work solely on
Apache 2.0 today, we would not have something we can release for 5-6
months.  This is not because I think threading is hard to get right; I'm
more worried about the other big deals hoped for in 2.0, autoconf and
protocol abstraction.  So the question is, are there things which really
should be out there in the public before then?  There are two things which
seem to fall into that category:

1) Spec-compliant HTTP/1.1 support, except for mod_proxy
2) Adding %v for logging of the virtual host to config logging module

Both these have been coded up and ready to be evaluated and committed.
There are lots of smaller things I'd like to see done, but if I had to buy
stock in Occam's Razor Company, these are the two I'd choose.

	Brian

brian@organic.comwww.apache.org hyperreal.com http://www.organic.com/JOBS