httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: Configurable nph filenames
Date Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:11:35 GMT
On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Brian Clapper wrote:
> Nevertheless, it won't help me. :-(
> I originally patched mod_cgi because I needed to be able to tag an existing
> script as NPH.  However, the script's name is fixed; other existing
> software relies on the name, and (for stupid political reasons I won't go
> into) I cannot force a name change.  The script's name, naturally, neither
> begins with "nph-" nor has an extension.  So, as much as I'd like to move
> toward Paul's solution, I'm stuck with mine.

MultiViews + "foo.cgi.nph"?

I like Paul's proposed change, if we can decide that "nph-" is worth
supporting in the future.  "NPH" scripts do two things which we'd need to
debate supporting:

1) writes the the client in whatever buffer size the script itself outputs
2) detaches from the main server process and talks directly to the client.

I know lots of people use nph for reason 1 - and that would seem to be
something we could support pretty easily moving forward.  We could use the
exact same parsing machinery as for regular nph scripts, we'd just been to
pass on buffer flushes.

Reason 2 is more interesting.  I know a couple of people who use nph
scripts for serving up large files which are I/O bound - the script itself
just reads from disk and prints to stdout, and since it's detached from
the server process you just have that small child hanging around in memory
for that request, not a full child.  This would seem to be a harder
functionality to support.

View raw message