httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: A proposal
Date Mon, 01 Jul 1996 19:19:10 GMT
On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:
> I can't believe I'm wasting my time on this. But I suppose that if I don't I
> will ultimately waste more time reading about it.

Did you read the messages on the list from over the weekend?  I have had a
process going on here...

> So, can we stop debating and vote on the following separate issues. That is,
> one vote for each issue, please. Deadline is Wed, July 3rd, 17:00 GMT.
> 1. We will branch the CVS tree into 1.1 and 1.2 branches forthwith.

Let's put 1.1 on the street before distracting ourselves, okay?

> 2. We will remove Brian's "giant" patches from 1.1.

I just did that.

> 3. We will have a 1.1b5 public beta.

I'll be building this this afternoon.  The changes that have been made are
all very minor, ones I think we all have confidence in, and a public beta
will delay the release *again*.  Face it - we will never have a bug-free
server.  We will have a 1.1.1 - that can not be avoided.  We can mitigate
it by posting bugfix patches publicly rather than always rolling them into
"the next release", perhaps, but there will be bug reports on 1.1 final
(even if we sat on it for 6 months and added no functionality at all).  

We're on track for a Wednesday morning announcement of 1.1 final.  If we
don't have binaries for every platform there on Wednesday morning, but
they trickle in over the next few days, that's fine with me too.  

> 4. We will revert to my scheme for determining the style guide (with additions
> raised recently).

This has *nothing* to do with the 1.1 release - at least, I hope you're
not proposing we clean up the source code before 1.1 final (as tempting as
an idea that sounds), particularly since from the last 12 hours of
conversation it does not appear that we have consensus.



View raw message