httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: initialising children in apache
Date Wed, 31 Jul 1996 05:04:35 GMT
On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Martijn Koster wrote:

> The most obvious way would be just to add two new function pointers in the
> module struct, and call them in the right place (child_main()).
> This would require a (simple one-line) change to all modules.
> If there are plans to break the API anyway, it'd be nice to have this in.

I'm not really sure, but I've thought about it, and I think you could do
something like:

#define STANDARD_MODULE_STUFF MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER, 0, __FILE__, NULL, NULL
#define REVISED_MODULE_STUFF MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER, 0, __FILE__, NULL

Notice the added NULL in the first #define (the second is the same as
STANDARD_MODULE_STUFF is now). Now simply add a new entry to the
module structure, prior to the existing entries. All existing modules
will now properly define a NULL for the new entry, and new modules
that use REVISED_MODULE_STUFF will be able to define an entry
there.

At least, I think that would work.