httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Broken clients
Date Sun, 21 Jul 1996 20:02:31 GMT
On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

[...]

> I like the concept, anyway, as I think I said last time it was suggested. It
> does leave us with the question of a pattern matching package, again. That is,
> assuming we can't just use the OS native ones (can we?).

Out of half a dozen OSes I have access to, four of them (HP-UX 9.04,
Solaris 2.5, BSDI 2.0, Linux 1.2.0) have the POSIX regex functions,
and two don't (IRIX 5.3 and SunOS 4.1.1). To my mind, that's a good
enough chunk of OSes that my vote goes for POSIX, with compatible
functions in a source file somewhere for those OSes that don't have
it. I mean, if the functions are already in libc, why not use them?