httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: security holes and other fun stuff
Date Tue, 16 Jul 1996 03:16:19 GMT
On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, sameer wrote:

> > Hmm. No. I think the real solution (and http11.patch has this in it, btw,
> > since the HTTP/1.1 spec mandates it*) is to change line 376 from ": 0" to
> > ": 80". Try that, see if it works.
>
> 	OK. I'll have to futz with stuff to make it say "443" if the
> user is connecting with SSL.

Yep, because 443 is the default port for SSL. Just like over in
check_fulluri(), you'll have to look for https:// instead of http:// -
which brings up a very interesting question: can you do SSL on ports
other than 443? If so, how does a server that supports both HTTP and
SSLized HTTP know which one to use if the port isn't 80/443? Would it
have to be configured such? (I guess so, because they didn't
just use 80 in the first place)

> 	Your note below is interesting, because *NETSCAPE* doesn't
> send :port when connecting to servers (at least not for ports 443 and
> 80). I like the no default port behavior, I only wish netscape would
> be compliant.

It sends them when you type them into the URL field (or a link
does). For example, telling Netscape "http://foo/" will send "Host:
foo". "http://foo:3456" will send "Host: foo:3456". "http://foo:80"
will send "Host: foo:80". I don't do any SSL, but I imagine for
"https://foo/" it would send "Host: foo" and "https://foo:4567" it
would send "Host: foo:4567". But I don't know. SSL is an interesting
creature, because it pretends to be HTTP, but isn't; HTTP's default
port number is 80, SSL's is 443. I imagine that can cause
problems like this.