httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Apache 1.2 & HTTP/1.1
Date Sat, 06 Jul 1996 02:30:22 GMT
On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Ummm, I was just kidding -- I didn't actually promise it.  I'd like it,
> but I don't promise things for other people.  I'll be plugged-in this
> weekend (ouch), so let me know if anything needs to be clarified

Actually... I do need a couple things clarified.

Re Section 3.6. Am I correct in thinking that if a chunked body,
if it has no footers, should end with "0" and two CRLF pairs? Looking
at section 19.4.6, it seems like there might only be one.

Section 4.4 says that multipart/byteranges is an indication of
message length. So does this mean that if I've got a
multipart/byteranges document, I can open a persistent connection
without having a Content-length or chunked transfer-coding? (for that
matter, is it legal to chunk a multipart/byteranges entity?)

Another question regarding multipart/byteranges, if a browser sends:

Range: bytes=-10,30-40,0-5,25-35

am I allowed to send (assuming a 100 byte document) back in a
multipart/byteranges:

i.e. can I mix the order around and merge overlapping ranges? I sure
as heck hope the answer is yes. (if not, I hope someone will tell me
how I'm supposed to serve up a byterange of a dynamically generated
document without caching the whole thing first, which for very large
documents could prove prohibitive.)

Thanks.