httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: AddType...
Date Fri, 05 Jul 1996 19:26:03 GMT
On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

> I'm talking to a guy who wants to use Action to expand .html.gz files and
> serve them up, but not do so to other kinds of .gz files. Is there some
> fundamental reason that we can't do this (the problem is that you can't use
> a '.' in an AddType)? Or is it just that its easier not to?

The reason is that the parser in mod_mime goes through filenames in
dot-seperated sections. i.e. if you have "foo.html.gz" it looks at
"html" and then "gz". It's pretty much neccessary to do it this way,
if you want to (as we do) allow filename extensions in any order and
any number of them. i.e. if you have "AddType whatever .html.gz", how
do you parse "foo.gz.en.html" (which is a perfectly legal way of
specifying a gzipped English HTML file).