httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Robinson <d...@esi.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src mod_negotiation.c
Date Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:04:53 GMT
On Sun, 28 Jul 1996, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> Alexei Kosut liltingly intones:
> >
> > On Sun, 28 Jul 1996, Chuck Murcko wrote:
> >
> > > We can try it. I'll make the necessary changes, and Ralf can see how he
> > > likes the result. 'Till now, though, only parse_uri() has been setting
> > > r->proxyreq. I think that's why David had the proxy handler checking the
> > > header string, too.
> >
> > No, rather I think it was because r->proxyreq was something he added after
> > he wrote the rest of the module, to prevent parse_uri() and
> > process_request() from mangling the URL, as they were doing. However, it
> > does make sense to check for the string as well, because r->proxyreq
> > simply signifies a proxy request, not necessarily one that mod_proxy can
> > handle. There could be other proxy modules.
> >
> OK, then. Want to leave it as it is? Or check for both, and set r->proxyreq
> on aliases, too? I was unaware of the timeline on this.

Alexei has it about right. r->proxyreq tells you whether you received
a request as
GET http://foo.bar/dddd HTTP/1.0

instead of a normal 1.0 request of
GET /local/resource HTTP/1.0

So the Apache core tests r->proxyreq to see if it should avoid processing the
URL (decoding, splitting off the query string, etc.).

 David.