httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Schrenk <nschr...@neog.com>
Subject Re: Microsoft's "amazing" web servers
Date Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:11:55 GMT
On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> This looks like round robin DNS on too few servers to handle the load.
> A load balancing DNS would take care of this, better at least.

Every subsequent DNS query returns the same list of addresses, just
ordered slightly differently --  the address at the head of the list
rotates to the end of the list.  Some of the servers don't respond, some
of them do, but since Navigator caches the IP address of the first server
it gets, it's a crapshoot whether or not you'd be able to see anything at
this site.  I've never been able to view their content, so I don't know
what I'm missing.  :)

Don't most round robin DNS servers only return one address per query?
What would the possible advantage be to return the list of addresses that
they are returning now, instead of returning one address per query?

Nathan

--
Nathan Schrenk						nschrenk@neog.com
Neoglyphics Media Corp.                              http://www.neog.com/