httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Schrenk <nschr...@neog.com>
Subject Microsoft's "amazing" web servers
Date Tue, 16 Jul 1996 00:55:16 GMT

I have just viewed some behavior at www.msnbc.com that I have not seen
before, and I thought other members of this list might be interested,
although this is off-topic.

www.msnbc.com currently resolves to 9 different IP addresses.  Some of
those addresses are serving HTTP traffic on port 80, and some of them are
refusing connections.  The browser I'm using, Netscape 2.02 for Solaris,
doesn't behave very well when trying to connect to this site.  Evidently,
Netscape looks at the first address it gets from the DNS and attempts to
connect to it.  When that fails, it pops up an error message.  When I use
Solaris' telnet client to connect to port 80 on www.msnbc.com I will get
one or more "Connection refused" messages as telnet goes through the list
of addresses attempting connections and then I'll get a connection that's
accepted that I can use.

So who is at fault here?  Is Microsoft at fault for having servers that
are down, or is Netscape at fault for not checking each one of the
addresses that are in the DNS?  Or perhaps the failure of my browser to
communicate to this server is just a casualty of different, but not
technically incorrect, interpretations of various Internet standards?

Nathan

PS: When I first viewed this behavior I was totally bewildered as it
seemed that the server was sending a "Connection refused" message but
then opening the connection anyway.  It was not until I ended up doing an
nslookup on www.msnbc.com that I realized that the "Connection refused"
messages were coming from a different machine than the one I eventually
connected with.x

--
Nathan Schrenk						nschrenk@neog.com
Neoglyphics Media Corp.                              http://www.neog.com/