httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Robinson <d...@esi.co.uk>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Proxy/Great Concept, but!" on FreeBSD
Date Wed, 10 Jul 1996 08:25:27 GMT
> >Submitter: robert@superior.net
> >Operating system: FreeBSD, version:
> >Version of Apache Used: 1.1.0
> >Extra Modules used: proxy
> >URL exhibiting problem:
> >
> >Symptoms:
> >--
> >I really like the new Apache, great enhancements!
> >Here Here!  The only problem I have is that ANYone
> >anywhere can use your proxy server!  I really like
> >the proxy and have been using it, but I have knucklhead
> >people that when they leave our service now they don't
> >change their proxy setting in Netscape and then end up
> >upping our traffic.  Is there a way that we can
> >but an ALLOW and DENY in for Proxy access?  This
> >would be a keen feature!

This functionality was supported when I originally wrote the proxy module;
when a user connects to the proxy server and requests a remote URL xxxx,
then internally Apache treats this as an access to the file proxy:xxxx

Thus you should be able to protect your proxy using directory sections and
protection directives, i.e.
<Directory proxy:*>
</Directory>

I don't know whether this behaviour is currently supported or documented.

 David Robinson.