httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject Re: Let's get rid of .htaccess files :-)
Date Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:16:25 GMT
>  > I guess the question would then be as to how you identify .htaccess
>  > files. Do you look for them at startup? If you have a lot of
>  > directories, that could take a while. I suppose it could read each in
>  > once, the first time. (it'd have to also store then which directories
>  > *didn't* have .htaccess files, to avoid the extra stat for each request).
>
> The obvious optimistation to make first would be to parse them all
> at startup and hold them in an internal structure and then do a stat
> on the file at each access rather than a full parse. I suspect that in
> itself would be a considerable performance boost. If the file's newer
> than it's cached contents then re-parse it.

On large systems, I am not sure it is a good idea to go hog-wild like that
and search the entire disk for these things.  You would need to search
through every ~user/public_html tree as well, and on a lot of boxes this
could be many thousand directories.  Perhaps an option to read a list of
top-level directories to search would speed this up a bit.

-Rasmus